Open Access Repository

Notes on a chipped boulder found near Kempton.

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Noetling, Fritz (1908) Notes on a chipped boulder found near Kempton. Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 1-9. ISSN 0080-4703

[img]
Preview
PDF
1908-Noetling-c...pdf | Download (608kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

It has rather been a problem whence the Tasmanian
Aborigines obtained the material for their implements.
The discovery of certain localities where the rock suitable
for implements occurred in situ, and which were
unquestionably worked by the Aborigines, has partly
solved the problem. It is unquestionable that the
Aborigines obtained a certain amount of the raw
material from these so-called quarries, but it is equally
certain that a large portion was obtained from different
sources.
One of the best-known "native quarries" is that
situated on Coal Hill, near Melton-Mowbray.However, it was conclusively proven that, though
the quarry on Coal Hill was conveniently situated and
easily reached from the camping grounds near the
river, only 6.1 per cent, of the implements found were
derived from it.
A number of interesting facts and questions arise
from the study of this specimen. Though not completely
restored to its entire shape, we can state with
absolute certainty that the original was a pebble or
boulder, well worn and smooth all over its surface, of
deep black colour, weighing not less than 10lb. As
there are no gravel deposits or conglomerate anywhere
near the place wdiere it was found, it must have been
picked up at a considerable distance, and been carried
to the camping ground to be used for the manufacture
of implements.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 1-9
ISSN: 0080-4703
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 07 May 2013 06:32
Last Modified: 15 Sep 2017 01:07
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP