Open Access Repository

The manufacture of the tero-watta

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Noetling, Fritz (1911) The manufacture of the tero-watta. Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. pp. 38-61. ISSN 0080-4703

[img]
Preview
PDF
1911-Noetling-T...pdf | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

Recent investigations have proved that the aborigines
obtained the siliceous rocks used in the manufacture of
their stone implements from two sources, viz.
1) From certain localities where such kinds of rocks
occur in situ
2) From the gravel deposits of pleistocene and modern
age, in the shape of waterworn boulders.
The former localities have very aptly been termed
"native quarries," but it appears that, though these quarries
were extensively worked, the material obtained from this
source was not of the same importance as that obtained
from the gravel beds.
The total of tero-watta made from
locally occurring rock, therefore, does not exceed 14 or 15
per cent.
We, therefore, see that at the outside 15 per cent, of
the tero watta were manufactured from rock obtained in quarries, while 85 per cent, were manufactured from
rocks otherwise obtained.
Now, how were the tero-watta manufactured? The
answer to this question is more difficult than it appears,
and we will first see whether the historical accounts help
to solve the problem.
In Conclusion
The raw material required for the manufacture of
tero-watta was for the greater part obtained in the shape
of water-worn pebbles from the gravel beds, for the smaller
part from so-called quarries.
It was also concluded that the parent block was broken by means of a hammer-stone.
Includes plates.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 38-61
ISSN: 0080-4703
Collections: Royal Society Collection
Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 27 May 2013 02:12
Last Modified: 15 Sep 2017 01:07
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP