Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of September, 1894

Royal Society of Tasmania 1894 , 'Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of September, 1894' , Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania , xvi-xvii .

proceedings-sep...pdf | Download (9MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.


The monthly evening meeting of the Royal Society of Tasmania was
held at the Society's room, Museum, on Tuesday. September 12th.
Hon. C. H. Grant presided, and there was a good attendance.
Apologies were received from the Hon. Sir Jas. Wilson Agnew,
K.C.M.G., M.D., M.E.C., and Mr. Jas. Barnard, Vice-Presidents. A letter was received through the Premier (Sir Edward Braddon)
from the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science,
Adelaide, enclosing the report of the committee appointed to make
recommendations for the protection of native fauna, and asking
that Tasmania would assist in carrying out the recommendations of
this committee. Among other suggestions, the report urged that the
Schouten Main (Freycinet Peninsula) should be set aside as a national
park for Tasmania, that the Victorian and Tasmanian Governments
should be requested to draw up a joint Act for the protection of the
Cape Barren goose on those islands on which it is found in Bass Straits; that existing game laws should be strictly enforced, and that in all
Game Acts provision should be made for the proclamation of districts,
comprising both Crown lands and private property, wherein particular
species may be absolutely protected for indefinite periods. The Secretary, after apologising for the absence of the president
of the Fisheries Board (Mr. M. Seal), introduced the matter of the protection of the fur seal in Bass Straits and saw Maequarie Island, and that the Government of Tasmania had unfortunately decided that there should be no close season for these animals. Mr. T. Stephens drew attention to a circular which the Government had received from the Royal Geographical Society of England
on the orthography of geographical names. The circular advocated
the adoption of a system of orthography for place names which would
be simple enough for any educated person to master with the minimum of trouble, and which would at the same time afford an approximation
to the sound of a place-name such as a native might recognise. Mr. J. R. McClymont, M.A., read a paper on "Early voyages to
Papua, l5ll to 1545." Owing to the lateness of the hour, Mr. Robert Henry's paper on
a new method of dropping the time ball was postponed till the next
meeting of the Society.
The Chairman having briefly thanked Mr. McClymont for his paper
and gentlemen for their remarks, the meeting closed.

Item Type: Article
Authors/Creators:Royal Society of Tasmania
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania.

Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page