Open Access Repository (ePrints)

University Badge pre 1937 Index: University of Tasmania Collection

University of Tasmania 2014 , University Badge pre 1937 Index: University of Tasmania Collection , University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania.

PDF (Index)
UT364.pdf | Download (78kB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.


Photograph of a University Badge used before the adoption of the present Coat of Arms in 1937.
Transparency and enlarged colour print of a small metal brooch badge, worn in the 1930’s, lent by Mr and Mrs Lewis (through Mr B. Wilson). See UT 365
This badge was probably a badge of the Tasmania University Union, and is based on the official Common Seal of the University, omitting the star and rose and the inscription, with the addition of a punning motto IN UNITATEM UNI.TAS, it also appears on the TUU magazine Platypus and may have been adopted in the 1920’s when the Union first sent teams to Inter-Varsity sports.
The original University Common Seal was the seal of the Tasmanian Council of Education, whose functions were taken over by the University on its foundation in 1890, with the inscription altered to read: UNIVERSITY OF TASMANIA COMMON SEAL 1890. (not altered until 1902, TCE one continued)

From University Collection UT364.

Item Type: Other
Authors/Creators:University of Tasmania
Keywords: University of Tasmania Special and Rare Collections, University of Tasmania, photograph, badge, coat of arms, 1937, transparency, colour print, Tasmania University Union, Common Seal, Platypus, Tasmanian Council of Education,
Publisher: University of Tasmania
Collections: University of Tasmania > University of Tasmania Special Collections
Additional Information:

The copyright of this material is either in the public domain or owned by the University of Tasmania. Material owned by the University may be used under the CC BY 4.0 licence.

Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page