Open Access Repository

Miscellaneous personal letters of Alex Lachlan Williams, 1894-1897

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Williams, Alex Lachlan and Judge, Geoffrey J and Duncan, James and Lorkin, EA and Proctor, Ada and McDonald, J (1894) Miscellaneous personal letters of Alex Lachlan Williams, 1894-1897. University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection, Australia. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF (June 1894 - Judge)
M14-13-1.pdf | Download (7MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
PDF (August 1894 - Judge)
M14-13-2.pdf | Download (7MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
PDF (September 1897 - McDonald)
M14-13-3.pdf | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
PDF (September 1896 - Duncan)
M14-13-4.pdf | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
PDF (October 1895 - Lorkin)
M14-13-5.pdf | Download (5MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

[img]
Preview
PDF (September 1897 - Proctor)
M14-13-6.pdf | Download (7MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

Abstract

Miscellaneous personal letters from Geoffrey J. Judge of Zeehan in regard to repairs to T. Gibbins' shop, lack of mining jobs and mines "commencing to look up" dated 1 July and 19 August 1894. From James Duncan regarding the tenancy of Williams' property at Zeehan dated 12 September 1896. From Ada Proctor of Sandy Bay on hearing
ALW was about to leave Hobart to thank him for all he did for her Aunt dated 29 August 1897. From E.A Lorkin of North Lyell regarding the lease, amalgamation, and section not complying with labour clause written on 18 October 1897. From J. McDonald of Strahan, correspondence regarding mill timber and accompanying list of measurements of logs dated 6 September 1897. These personal letters of Alex Lachlan Williams 1894-1897 are from the papers of Oscar Jones, solicitor of Murdoch & Jones Queenstown branch and his predecessor Alex Lachlan Williams, apparently found at Strathelie at Broadmarsh formerly the Jones family home.
The Queenstown practice was established by Alex Lachlan Williams in 1896. Later Charles Page became a partner and established an office at Zeehan. George Murdoch of the Stone Buildings, Hobart, later Murdoch and Jones, acted as Hobart agent and early in 1898 the two firms merged as Williams and Page of Hobart, Queenstown and Zeehan. In April 1899, however, Williams sold out to Murdoch and Jones, Oscar Jones managed the Queenstown branch and by July the firm's name was changed to Murdoch & Jones. Williams & Page remained in Zeehan, under C.S. Page.
Private Deposit Collection M14/13
1-6

Item Type: Other
Keywords: Tasmania, van diemens land, social history, history, colony, colonial, Australia, indexes, University of Tasmania, Library, private deposits, archives, Collections, Alex Lachlan Williams, Murdoch & Jones Queenstown, Zeehan, solicitor
Publisher: University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection
Collections: Other Special Collections
Additional Information:

The University of Tasmania Library is copying and communicating the material in this collection as a service to the public. Please note than any further copying by you may be subject to copyright protection. If you do re-use the material please provide the following acknowledgement: “Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections “. Such a reference is not an endorsement, authorisation or recommendation by the University of Tasmania

Date Deposited: 11 Nov 2014 00:42
Last Modified: 18 Nov 2014 05:06
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP