Open Access Repository

Report on the geological relations of some of the coal-seams of Van Diemen's Land,—their probable extent, and relative economic value ; made to his Excellency Sir H.E.F Young

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Selwyn, Alfred Richard Cecil (1855) Report on the geological relations of some of the coal-seams of Van Diemen's Land,—their probable extent, and relative economic value ; made to his Excellency Sir H.E.F Young. Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania, 3. pp. 116-141.

[img]
Preview
PDF
12-1855-Selwyn-...pdf | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview

Abstract

The Districts visited and partially examined were :

The valley of the Derwent from Bridgewater to about
seven miles above New Norfolk, including a few observations
in the immediate vicinity of Hobart Town and New
Town.
From Risdon Ferry over Grass-tree Hill to Richmond
; thence to Spring Bay on the east coast by the
Brushy and Prosser's Plains.
The immediate vicinity of Spring Bay and the township
of Triabunna, where various trials for coal have been
made in the township and on the estate of Captain Vicary.
The country extending from Bicheno, Waubs Harbour,
to Falmouth on the east coast, including the Douglas
River and a small portion of the upper part of the Valley
of the Apsley, near the Township of Llandaff.
From Falmouth over St. Mary's Pass to Fingal,
Avoca, and Cleveland, on the Hobart Town and Launceston
Road.
The Coal-works on the Elvers Don and Mersey
executed by the Mersey Coal Company and others. Alfred Richard Cecil Selwyn (1824–1902) was appointed geological surveyor (later director of the Geological Survey). He arrived in Melbourne on the Sydney in November 1852. In 1855 Selwyn had surveyed the coal measures of Tasmania.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Royal Society of Tasmania, Van Diemens Land, VDL, Hobart Town, natural sciences, proceedings, records
Journal or Publication Title: Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Page Range: pp. 116-141
Collections: Royal Society Collection > Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania
Additional Information:

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to The Royal Society of Tasmania.

Date Deposited: 02 Dec 2014 00:06
Last Modified: 02 Dec 2014 00:06
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP