Open Access Repository

Photographs of blue gum timber production in Southern Tasmania in the early 1900's

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Beattie, John Watt (1900) Photographs of blue gum timber production in Southern Tasmania in the early 1900's. [Image] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
Image (Blue Gum piles awaiting shipment)
timber-1.2.jpg | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (Blue Gum piles awaiting shipment)
timber-1.jpg | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (shipping Blue Gum piles for Admiralty Works)
timber-2.2.jpg | Download (3MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (tramway for transporting cut logs)
timber-2.jpg | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (loading pile onto lighter for transfer to ship)
timber-3.2.jpg | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (cutting timber in the bush)
timber-3.jpg | Download (5MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (bullocks bringing piles through bush to tram line)
timber-4.2.jpg | Download (5MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (Adventure Bay sawmill)
timber-5.2.jpg | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (Adventure Bay sawmill)
timber-5.jpg | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (squaring piles for Dover Harbour works)
timber-6.2.jpg | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (bullock team hauling piles to tramway)
timber-6.jpg | Download (5MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (bullock team hauling piles to tramway)
timber-7.2.jpg | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (tramming piles out of bush)
timber-7.jpg | Download (5MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview
[img]
Preview
Image (felling a Stringy Bark tree in the bush, Adventure Bay)
timber-4.jpg | Download (4MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview

Abstract

Photographs taken in the early 1900's of 100 ft long Blue Gum piles produced by the Gray Brothers mills of " Quiet Corner" Adventure Bay, Bruny Island. The logs were destined for
contracts to supply hewn Piles, 18x18 and 20 x 20, and
up to lOO feet in length, for the Admiralty Harbour Works
being carried out by Messrs. S. Pearson and Son. Ltd.,
at Dover, England, and for a contract with the firm
of Sir John Jackson, Ltd., for similar Harbour Works at
Simon's Town, South Africa. The Hobart Mercury of Monday 8th June 1903 reported that the Gray Brothers, at their mill at Adventure Bay, which is on the open sea side of Bruni Island, have, of late, had their names prominently before the public in connection with several big contracts they executed, notably, their supply of piles and other timber for the great harbour works at Dover, England. The brothers (Messrs. Henty G. and Fred. Gray), with Mr. Fred. Gray as mill manager, have been operating here for about 15 years, having about 500 acres of freehold land, and leased over 1,500 acres of immense beds of timber lands from the Crown, the trees being principally stringy bark and blue gum. Their tram lines branch into a dense forest, in different directions, for about two miles, some of the trees being 8ft. in diameter, 250ft. to 300ft. high, from which a clear run of timber, without a limb, to the extent of over 100ft., is often secured.
As to the mill, it has powerful machinery. There are two immense vertical frames worked, one of which carries
breakdown saw, and the other a set of "flitching" saws Then come the usual circular "bench" ripping saws, and a steam cross-cut, attachable to the log skids, which facilitates the cutting of large quantities of timber to any uniform length desired. A new Tangye engine, of 30-horse power, has just been put down, for driving the machinery, whilst in the forest they have a powerful steam bush hauler at work, to pull the felled logs up to the tram line. About 30 hands are employed (for whom workmen's cottages are provided), and about 50,000ft. super. of sawn timber is the quantity put out in a week; but frequently great hewn piles for harbour works are also handled by the firm and shipped. The selection of these is a great point, and in this the lengthy experience and judgment of Messrs Gray Brothers (who have spent a lot of money in equipment and obtaining the necessary gear), stand them in good stead. For instance, the piles they sent to Dover (England), they were informed, gave great satisfaction, being well selected. They have recently been engaged in supplying great hewn logs and sawn timber for Simons- town (South Africa) Admiralty works, and have already despatched one cargo by the Lady Palmerston (1,300 tons), and are now loading the ship Emily Reed (1,500 tons), to be followed by a third cargo about September next, for England. Most of the hewn piles to supply this order are obtained from Flinder's Bay, on the peninsula. Timber of various kinds is also supplied for the Tasmanian and inter-state building trade. The deep water jetty has recently been lengthened to 500 ft, where vessels can come alongside, drawing over 16ft of water, the jetty being capable of holding a stack of 400,000ft of timber. The bay is sheltered from most winds, and is a historical spot, having been the first landing place in Tasmania of the great circumnavigator, Captain Cook, and only the other day some relics of that memorable landing here were found. There are 16 workmen's cottages on the property, and stabling for 16 horses. Telephonic communication with Hobart (where the firm has its chief business office, in the charge of Mr. W. G. Andrewartha), and other centres, has recently been installed. The firm have just finished supplying large hewn timber for Stanley breakwater. It was from here that the Broken Hill Mining Company got a lot of their timber, and that piles for the Prince's Wharf extension and the Alexandra pier, Hobart, were obtained.

From the University of Tasmania Special & Rare Photograph Collection Pr.TIM

Item Type: Image
Keywords: Australia, Hobart, photography, photograph, Beattie, Logging, Tasmania, Timber industry, Norfolk Bay, Adventure Bay, Gray Brothers, sawmillers, shipping
Publisher: University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection
Collections: Photograph Collection
Additional Information:

You do not need to request any permission to re-use this material but the following acknowledgement is requested: “Courtesy of the University of Tasmania Library Special & Rare Collections. Pr/ TIM"

Date Deposited: 19 Mar 2015 22:18
Last Modified: 24 Mar 2015 22:41
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP