Open Access Repository

Photograph of the Girls Industrial School, Barrack Square, Hobart

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Girls Industrial School, Hobart, (1883) Photograph of the Girls Industrial School, Barrack Square, Hobart. [Image] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
G3-9-1.pdf | Download (1MB)
Available under University of Tasmania Standard License.

| Preview

Abstract

Photograph of the Girls Industrial School, Barrack Square, Hobart. Taken in 1883 by Henry Hall Bailey, (1865-1880) photographer, Hobart.
The photograph shows part of the building with a group of girls and staff. (see Minutes of 1883 - G3/1(2) ).
The School was founded in June 1862, originally as the Hobart Town Female Refuge to provide a home for neglected girls and train them in washing, sewing and domestic work. It was
managed by a committee of ladies elected by subscribers, usually
under the patronage of the Governor’s wife, but five gentlemen were elected as governors and formed an advisory committee.
The School occupied various temporary houses until 1873 when
the committee leased buildings in the Barracks, which premises were extended in 1879 when the School took the protestant girls from the Queen's Orphan School, New Town, which was being closed. In 1892 it moved to 'Kensington House, Davey Street (now
the Trades Hall) and finally in 1924 it moved to Maylands, Pirie
Street, New Town. The School took 30 to 40 girls, usually between
6 and 14, but occasionally younger, and the committee liked to keep
them beyond their committal period until they were 16 and trained for service, unless there were suitable relatives. They were usually
referred by a magistrate and supported by the Government, by
relatives or by donations and the little earned by laundry and sewing work. The children were looked after by a matron and sub-matron and ladies of the committee visited in turn. As well as instruction in domestic work the children were given some basic education, by a School-mistress appointed after the transfer of the
Orphan School girls in 1879, and after 1925 attended state school, and also received religious instruction from local ministers or Sunday school teachers. In February 1945 the School was transferred to the Salvation Army.

Item Type: Image
Keywords: Girls Industrial School, Hobart, Photograph, H.H.Bailey
Publisher: University of Tasmania, Special & Rare Collections
Collections: Photograph Collection
Additional Information:

From: Private Deposit - Girls Industrial School G3/9 (1)

Date Deposited: 29 Feb 2016 03:53
Last Modified: 29 Feb 2016 03:59
Related URLs:
Item Statistics: View statistics for this item

Actions (login required)

Item Control Page Item Control Page
TOP